Sunday 10 February 2013

Sarawak 1947 Brooke 1c-$5 set on FDC Cover



The FDC dated 16 April 1947 features a complete Brooke overprinted set of the Sarawak 1947 Brooke series (Scott#159-173) which is hard to find nowadays. Clearly written "Sarawak 'Royal Cypher' Provisional Issue", this cover was cancelled at its hometown in Kuching, Sarawak. The stamps were neatly tied on the Registered Mail cover bearing Reg. No. 2027.

This FDC was addressed to Mr. Alan D. Dant, a well-known Sarawak Philatelist. He was the writer of "Sarawak Stamps During & After the Japanese Occupation", published in 1949. He also won Special Prize in the 1952 PANAPEX (Pan Asian Philatelic Exhibition) award under the I-A-9 Borneo category.

Date acquired: 8 Feb. 2013
Place acquired from: California, USA

Disclaimer: I am not a Philatelist. I'm collecting stamps and covers just as a hobby. All my writings here are done based on my own non-exhaustive research. Please do your own research and do not take the articles here as formal references. I welcome any comments or critics if any of the information here are incorrect or misguided.

No comments:

Post a Comment